Assertiveness and You… Part I
Did you know that assertive workers…
- Convey capability and competence.
- Experience less stress (and less stress effects!).
- Have all the benefits of established self-esteem.
- Remain in control during times of conflict… and also have control over their anger.
- Tend to elicit a constructive response in others.
Sounds good eh? I don’t know about you, but I want to get me some of that!
Okay, tell me more
Assertion is grounded in the fact that everyone has the right to be treated with respect in all situations. Everyone has the right to be listened to and to be taken seriously, to say yes or no with conviction, to express their opinion, and to ask for what they need.
Assertive behavior can be many things. It can be standing up for your rights, feeling comfortable about being honest, expressing yourself with honestly (say what you mean and mean what you say), and observing and respecting the rights of others. In working relationships, assertive behaviour promotes equality and a healthy balance.