Your Pit Stop Guide to Professional Credibility
What exactly is Professional Credibility?
The Oxford dictionary defines credibility as:
The quality of being trusted and believed in.
The quality of being convincing or believable.
It also defines Professionalism as:
The competence or skill expected of a professional
Putting the two together, Professional Credibility is basically the feeling of trust and competence that you inspire in others.
Why Credibility is so important
Credibility is key to your workplace survival, success and progression. Credibility is what draws people to work with you and managers to trust you with important tasks. Credibility is what makes you the “go to” person and lands you with a good reputation. And credibility is what robustly platforms so many other professional skills, such as influencing and persuasion.
4 Ways to Enhance your Credibility
1. Maintain your Professionalism
- Look, speak and behave like the professional you are.
- Dress the part.
- Speak appropriately and with confidence.
- Keep your emotions in check.
2. Demonstrate your Integrity
- Be a trustworthy confidant and maintain your discretion.
- Show that you can handle responsibility well and be trusted with what it brings.
- Be honest – mean what you say and say what you mean.
- Be consistently true to your core values across tasks and working partnerships b.
- Demonstrate reliability.
3. Build your Excellence
- Dedicate yourself to building your professional knowledge and experience.
- Stretch your expertise through different projects and experiences.
- Work with others to enhance your experience and strengthen your skills.
4. Be Generous
- Employ your skills to support others and build their excellence.
- Play nicely – be a team player.
- Collaborate with others – recognise and celebrate the strengths of of others.
- Dedicate yourself to adding value… to the task in hand, to your colleagues, to your customers and to your organisation.
Find out more: